Last Thursday I went to Microsoft’s Dynamics Great Plains 10 Launch, here’s what I came away with:
Besides GP 10, they gave a quick demo of Dynamics CRM (At one point CRM was going to live under the Live brand but this has changed). What I saw was pretty sweet, basically it lives within Outlook. They also demo SharePoint 2007, I was pretty impressed with this too.
- GP looks and works like Office 2007 (Ribbon, smart favorites, etc…) so getting Accounting team accustomed will be a task.
- Workflow, PO process, auto notifications with things post, sales hit a certain number, item is sold, good stuff here.
- Search/Filters MUCH easier, custom column views, good stuff here.
- Integrate SQL Reporting Services in GP, No need to go out to reporting server to see reports
- Custom Home Page (Can pull from web parts)
- Integrated with Outlook (For some users no need to open GP, can get GP panes in Outlook 2007)
- 75 SQL Reporting Services templates to start with
- Excel Reports Server – They are really pushing this, I get some GP data, make it look how I want then save the excel document, this automatically gets pushed back to great plains so next time I open the report I get live data and others can see it too.
- 200 excel report templates come with it
- Free Online GP Training (use to cost $)
New License Model called Business Ready License
- Grandfatherd in if under current maintenance so you don’t have to go to new model· The current model you buy components as needed (Example: eConnect or FRx)
- New model you get everything for a flat fee ($10,000)
- New model you get 20 license to start with, $500 additional license
- They are really pushing people to the new model so some heavy discounts are being given. A couple of people I talked to said they basically got free maintenance for 2 years and it ended up being cheaper. I got a coupon too 😉
- You can do some really good things with some of their components when you hook them up to Microsoft CRM & SharePoint Server
- Talking about a employee SharePoint server where
- Employee update their info, check on sick days, vacation
- Payroll stubs, w4, w2, direct deposit, 401K
- Skills, training
- SharePoint 2007 is cross browser (FF, Safari)
- Can push SQL reporting services into SharePoint so that we would have cross browser reports