So I’ve been using Vista as my main OS for almost 2 months now. Time to give a short run down on the Good, Bad, and Ugly.
- Areo Glass Theme. Sorry OS X but Areo Glass is so much prettier then you.
- Changing Themes Color. Right now I’m digging green.
- Ready Boost. I got a 4 gig USB card helping free the hard drive of tedious task and extending my laptop’s battery.
- Stable. This should be a given but no blue screen, freezes, or spinning beach balls. I would say this is the most stable OS I have ever used.
- Sleep Mode. This never worked 100% of the time with XP. No problems so far in Vista.
- Search. Being able to search from the Windows start menu is almost enough to make me get rid of SlickRun, almost.
- Snipping Tool. Finally Windows ships with a much better screen capturing tool.
- No more “My Documents” or ”My Pictures”. They have renamed them to “Documents” & “Pictures”, finally.
- New Movie Maker. A nice upgrade over it’s predecessor.
- DreamScene. This is really, really cool, having a movie play as your background. It does draw a on resources though, that is why I don’t have it on 100% of the time.
- Remote Desktop. Until my fellow Network IT guys upgrade Terminal Services on ALL of the servers, I have to type in my password twice OR type it in something once so I get the Windows login prompt. Come on guys, backward compatibility is a good thing.
- No more NetMeeting So Net Meeting is old & didn’t have a ton of features, but it worked as expected. Looks like you can contact Microsoft to get a special NetMeeting installer for Vista.
- Cancel or Allow. This feature works if you are a web surfer/emailer but no way for a power user like myself. This is the first thing I turned off.
So far I have not ran into any driver problems or devices not working properly. I’ll keep you updated.